Listen to the re-birth of Hip-Hop

Featured artist: Jody Poem - Listen to the re-birth of Hip-Hop


As part of our ongoing "Rap's New Generation" series, today we sat down with the upcoming underground artist Jody Poem from San Antonio to talk about his recent music, his upcoming projects, his career advice and his overall experiences being in the music industry and he did not disappoint...

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, Jody Poem! Let's go back to the beginning of your career. How did you decide to become an artist?

Jody Poem: I grew up watching my father teach a drum-line and later on admired as he put effort into becoming an artist and producer. I knew when I was older music would be my life so I tried everything else in school. After graduating high school I took a detour by joining the US Army but it didn't work out because I ended up being medically discharged. So once I was medically discharged I knew it was time to focus my life on music to change the image people have in mind when they think of an MC.

The best advice I've received was from my father. He told me to take it easy with working on music and staying in the home studio all the time. He reassured me that I was born to do this so there was no need to rush. I would personally tell another artist to relax because you can't rush greatness. It comes in time with experience. The opportunities will come just focus on your craft while you wait for your time to shine.

- Jody Poem


What about concerts? Do you play live?

I have only performed once and it was in front of "Knowledge" from Atlantic Records A&R.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


Can a double minority even make it big?
- Jody Poem

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

I am currently working on my album S.O.S. (Search Of Significance). I have released a single before called Lost One. Lost One is the first taste of what S.O.S. is going to become.

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

Yes, I would love to have the opportunity to positively influence the world. The Con of signing would be not being able to spend time with my kids and wife as much as I'd like to. The Pro would be putting myself in a position to give my wife everything she deserves and being able to give my kids a better life and better future.

Any last words?

Shoutout to D.M.A.C. and Trece for putting me on to the rap game. Shoutout to all the people who mentored me and helped me when I was down on my luck. Shoutout to my wife and kids because they made me the man I am today. Shoutout to Texas for always keeping it 100 with me. Then a final Big shoutout to San Antonio and my Mom. The way they raised me saved my life.

Where can people follow you to stay up-to-date?

Jody Poem: https://www.reverbnation.com/jodypoem

Thank you for your time. We wish you much success in your further career.

--

Support the culture.

.

Share this interview and spread the word!