DSmith, Chicago's Next Rising Icon

Featured artist: DSmith - DSmith, Chicago’s Next Rising Icon


Below is a short interview with the upcoming underground artist DSmith.

How did you decide to become an artist?

DSmith: It started way back when I was young. My mother and I used to take car rides and she would always have these album sleeves that were filled with albums – both NEW and Old. She would let me pick what I would want to hear and from then on music has always been a huge part of my life. From a young age I could memorize complete rap songs and complicated lyrics. Later on in life, around the time I was 13 years I met Gentry who would become a stepfather/role model for me and Catman, funny name for a very funny guy, right? Well they put together a studio in the basement and cranked out records that our city will remember forever. Me, being too young at the time to record was always told to focus more on school but to always keep writing and improving. That pushed me to think outside the box more and helped me become a better writer. Years later, we lost Catman to gang violence the day he was released from prison. I just lost my best friend and one of my greatest mentors in the blink of an eye..that changed things in our city..that changed me as a person. I know if he was still here, things would be different, he’s our motivation to change things in my city. If I can make a way I can prove that anything is possible. His dream become my dream and it’s our dream to see his dream come true.

The best advice I was given as an artist was to always stay productive and to never put myself in a box.

- DSmith


What about concerts? Do you play live?

Yes! Just recently I opened up for Travis Porter on Saturday, May 16th, 2015

Best punchline you ever wrote?


”Blackhawks, Sox games. Bears seats – front-row. Shorty say she ain’t a Bulls fan? But she love it when this D ROSE!
- DSmith

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

I am currently working on my very first solo project titled ”XIII: Stories Never Told” due out 2015. In the past I released an album with my team the GFC (Get Fresh Committee) titled ”Fresh To Death”.

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

I wouldn’t sign right away. The pros are the immediate exposure and the advance money but the cons are having to turn in an album by a set date. There’s also the lack of creative control sometimes and having to gear most songs toward the radio–which means more dumb downed music. Another Pro is having the ability to call upon big name artists for projects.

Any last words?

I would like to give shoutouts to my teams, the XIII and the GFC (Gentry and SDot), Shawn Boyd for being such a great person, motivator and mentor to me and for being one of the best rappers from Chi-Town to hit Rap City on BET and I can’t forget about Street401k for doing their thing out here and spreading the positivity and being such great and inspirational artists.

Where can we contact you?

DSmith: http://soundcloud.com/DSmithXIII

Thank you for your time. We wish you and your career the success it deserves.

--

This interview opportunity has been provided by RapBeats.net, the digital marketplace for urban production music .


Want to get featured too? Apply here to get interviewed!

.

Share this interview and spread the word!