It ain't where you're from...It's where you're going!

Featured artist: Strategy - It ain't where you're from…It's where you're going!


As part of our ongoing "Rap's New Generation" series, today we sat down with the upcoming underground artist Strategy from Rapid City to talk about his recent music, his upcoming projects, his career advice and his overall experiences being in the music industry and he did not disappoint...

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, Strategy! Let's go back to the beginning of your career. How did you decide to become an artist?

Strategy: My love affair with Hip Hop began as a pre adolescent. I was a latchkey kid, coming home and watching music videos after school. Intrigued, interested and inspired by various artists and hip hop culture itself…I decided to start writing raps, as well as start freestyling. I enjoyed it. After doing that for a while, I discovered I was good at it, by the opinion of myself, obviously, and from friends. Then after a few years of doing that and my further immersion into rap fandom, I knew that it was the ultimate way for me to express myself and thus the dream began.

Be persistent and patient. Anything worthwhile takes time. Never give up and always believe in your dreams.

- Strategy


What about concerts? Do you play live?

I most certainly do.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


Timberland season…boots wit the tree on em
I'm fly…superman wit no reeves on him
cut off bum rappers…like no sleeves on em
rattle your shit, the linguistic tech ring on em
or call it ninja rap, verbs be the blade, katana…sliiiiice
gettin grip like vice
homicide on mics…this a slasher flick…yiiikes
- Strategy

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

Currently I am working on multiple projects at once. I have a few things coming down the pipeline, including albums as well as music videos.

I have released 2 mixtapes, an EP, as well as many promo tracks in the past. I also have 7 music videos out from those previous releases.

Everything can be found on my Soundcloud page and the videos on YouTube.

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

It depends on the parameters of the contract. I am very adamant about having full creative control of my music, being able to release new material whenever I see fit, as well as owning all of my master recordings.
In my opinion…
The pros are major backing, visibility, distribution and promotion. A machine behind you.
The cons are potentially not being able to drop music when you want, not owning your master recordings, and not having full creative control.

Any last words?

I wanna shout out my people…
Celcius, Varsity Hi, D-A Dubb, Kareem Kamahl, Literati, Just Will, Felisa Latin Soul, Kevin Cooks, Kendel Norwood, Marcel, Donovan, Joseph Wallner, Jacob Burke, my Pops, my Stepmoms, my Moms, my Stepdad and my Auntie.

Where can people follow you to stay up-to-date?

Strategy: https://soundcloud.com/stratman81

Thank you for your time. We wish you much success in your further career.

--

Support the culture.

.

Share this interview and spread the word!