Rap Streets of San Francisco

Featured artist: Black Solo - Rap Streets of San Francisco


As part of our ongoing "Rap's New Generation" series, today we sat down with the upcoming underground artist Black Solo from San Francisco to talk about his recent music, his upcoming projects, his career advice and his overall experiences being in the music industry and he did not disappoint...

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, Black Solo! Let's go back to the beginning of your career. How did you decide to become an artist?

Black Solo: I always wanted to live from music. I studied at the San Francisco Conservatory to become a sound engineer. I worked in several studios during the last 5 years. At the end of 2018, one of my friends recommend me to compose for myself. According to him I had some talent, but being rather shy, I did not really want to be on the front of the stage. Well, it's good to see the fan community listen to your songs.

As a sound engineer, when you mix a track, you must listen, you learn to listen to the artist feelings, to the vibes, to the fans. As a relatively 'young artist', my advice would be to « Listen and learn ». Listen to others, listen from others, listen from your body, listen from feelings, from people emotions.

- Black Solo


What about concerts? Do you play live?

Not yet. I recorded 3 tracks in studio early 2019. One of it, 'Maniac' seems to have a great scenic potential. I join the « Oh My Music » urban festival in Amsterdam in June. Let's see how far it goes.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


Time is my best friend.
- Black Solo

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

For now, I released 3 tracks – « Level7 » and « BackSlash » are Cloud Rap styled songs. « Maniac » is a pure rap/pop track. First numbers on streaming platforms shows interest. So, starting July I will start to work on another trilogy.

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

I signed with a new label in Miami – Paradise Label. They manage my social network footprint, my website, my records. We'll see. It is not exclusive. So, I am open to any business proposal.

Any last words?

I started from nothing. All my childhood friends told me that the world of music and rap was inaccessible. San Francisco city had a program to help children learn music… I was fortunate to join. 10 years later, be an engineer of sound is my first step which gives me a certain legitimacy but above all that allowed me to discover myself as author and composer.

Where can people follow you to stay up-to-date?

Black Solo: https://black-solo.com

Thank you for your time. We wish you much success in your further career.

--

Support the culture.

.

Share this interview and spread the word!