Long Time Underground King Talks Hip Hop

Featured artist: Skaz One - Long Time Underground King Talks Hip Hop


As part of our ongoing "Rap's New Generation" series, today we sat down with the upcoming underground artist Skaz One from Oakland to talk about his recent music, his upcoming projects, his career advice and his overall experiences being in the music industry and he did not disappoint...

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, Skaz One! Let's go back to the beginning of your career. How did you decide to become an artist?

Skaz One: When I was younger I didn't fit in, this was before the counter culture was popular. It was a way to express myself that my friends and I could also use to make a career. As HipHop got more and more popular, it just motivated me even more to get my own music out there. The people I've met and worked with keep me going and they help me to remember to persevere and never give up. Not giving up is the key to why I still make music.

The best advice I ever got as an artist was to put all my energy behind my performance. In the booth and on stage. And in everything I do in this business, I always remember how I used to have more of a deadpan flow, but now people can really feel my music. It's definitely helped me find my sound as an artist.

- Skaz One


What about concerts? Do you play live?

I have and do play live. I also have done some live shows in the metaverse since the pandemic hit. But I've always performed, ever since I started seriously making music back in 2008. I've performed all over the United States, though I've done the most performances at home in the Bay Area.

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

I've released 7 solo albums over the last 13 years. Most recently I've been promoting an EP I'm releasing with my homie Young Aug. We have some heat on that album and I can't wait for the streets to hear it. My last solo release was entitled "I Don't Need an Excuse" and the upcoming EP is called "Live Ur Fuccin Life"

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

It would depend on the deal. I've enjoyed being independent and keeping all my money. But sometimes it would be nice to to have to manage everything alone. If an artist friendly label wanted to sign me though, I would give it serious consideration. It all depends on the contract I'm offered. I don't want to sell my soul.

Any last words?

I wanna shout out Yung Aug, Zanejay Music, Mistah Fab, Studio 3100, Asthmatik, Crease Reese, FTB Crew, Scott Foo, my brother Sam and the Feathered Underdogs Club! Also to anyone who supports my music or has ever supported my music!

Where can people follow you to stay up-to-date?

Skaz One: Http://twitter.com/SkazOne

Thank you for your time. We wish you much success in your further career.

--

Support the culture.

.

Share this interview and spread the word!