TheOnlyThingToFearIsFearItself: Meet DREAD.

Featured artist: D R E A D (DreadTripleSix) - TheOnlyThingToFearIsFearItself: Meet DREAD.


As part of our ongoing "Rap's New Generation" series, today we sat down with the upcoming underground artist D R E A D (DreadTripleSix) from Tampa to talk about his recent music, his upcoming projects, his career advice and his overall experiences being in the music industry and he did not disappoint...

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, D R E A D (DreadTripleSix)! Let's go back to the beginning of your career. How did you decide to become an artist?

D R E A D (DreadTripleSix): I decided to get into rap/hip-hop after contributing most of my life to being instrumentally virtuous so that I could rip the stage like Randy Rhoads or Eric Clapton, or whoever else I idolize even to this day- then seeing my skill increase without a proportionate increase in an audience.

When you feel like quitting, don't.

- D R E A D (DreadTripleSix)


What about concerts? Do you play live?

I have played live shows in the past but only as a rock/metal artist. I've only done one show as DREAD.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


I don't really wanna give a punchline. If you're really interested, just go listen to the music until you find one you like.
- D R E A D (DreadTripleSix)

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

I am currently working on four different releases, simultaneously and I have released five tapes this year alone. The previous releases of this year amount to roughly two hours of content, which I'm just OK with. My ideal is to work as quickly as possible with good quality and substance, not necessarily in that order of importance.

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

My answer is probably, no. DefJam records called me some time ago and my initial reaction was really to just hang up on the person at the other end of the line. I think the pros really just stop at the amount of money they may invest in you as an artist as well as the money you may earn.

The cons are nothing short of losing your sovereignty as an artist. Labels tell you when to write, what to write, how to sound, etc.. The loss of individual artistic liberty is enough to deter me from signing practically any deal.

Any last words?

I work with many different producers from all over the world and there are some artists in my circle worth mentioning.
They are, @BaphometBeats, @ItsLucid2 @LftdHghts, @Slxin, @tms_btz, @Tyrgodd, YungBundy and TripDaMang.
All are producers, the latter two are also rappers, you can search each of these on SoundCloud or even find their handles in the descriptions to my tracks, as I credit everyone associated with each release.

Where can people follow you to stay up-to-date?

D R E A D (DreadTripleSix): https://soundcloud.com/dreadtriplesix

Thank you for your time. We wish you much success in your further career.

--

Support the culture.

.

Share this interview and spread the word!