Plan In Motion

Featured artist: Merc The Phoenix - Plan In Motion


As part of our ongoing "Rap's New Generation" series, today we sat down with the upcoming underground artist Merc The Phoenix from Killeen to talk about his recent music, his upcoming projects, his career advice and his overall experiences being in the music industry and he did not disappoint...

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, Merc The Phoenix! Let's go back to the beginning of your career. How did you decide to become an artist?

Merc The Phoenix: Well i grew up listening to my father play oldschool music every sunday. I still remember back in high school having friends and other guys beat box, tap on the cafeteria lunch tables making beats and rapping. Then once i did my first main song called How Many which was the song that got us invited to atlanta with Loud Ent. I was hooked. Till this day its my form of therapy.

The best advice i was given was, really a statement. I was told back in the early 2000's if you want to record everyday, then how about you get your own studio? Since then i started with the programs garage band, to sonar, to having almost every version of protools. Which has giving me unlimited axcess and freedom to create anything at anytime when i feel inspired to get in the studio.

- Merc The Phoenix


What about concerts? Do you play live?

Yes, i do live concerts and shows. I still remember the first show i performed at was in atlanta georga, My crew and I was invited by Loud Ent.to travel from Texas and open up for Triple Six Mafia. Soon after we were opening up for TI, and Little FliP. these were the times before they began having their beef.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


Always have a plan, if you dont plan you have already planned to fail. So, whatever plan you do have put your "Plan In Motion".
- Merc The Phoenix

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

currently i just finished up two new projects. One a new LP or so called Mixtape called The Limits that will be released next month in febuary. Second the full album called "Plan In Motion" that will be released in march 2019. The first single Feel Alive is already out and available at our home website. www.werpmoney.com

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

To me signing with a major label means, do you want to become famous or do you want to become rich. Yes a label wlll get you out there, pay for marketing, travel, studio time, features, etc. But with that they will take a certain %, so if your CD or Album hits the stores for $17.99 you may only see 3-4$ per CD sold.
Now being independent if your CD's are being sold at $17.99 you get to control and keep the full 100% but then how many people or fans actually know you even exist?
So my thought would be if you do sign with a major label find a deal or aggrement that you can give them at tops 2 years of your time. Then once your 2 years are up, you can leave, take your fans and show them what you have to offer independently.

Any last words?

The first shout outs would be to my mother and father for being extreem great supporters for vision in making music. My first crew the commish which till this day i call them my brothers 20+ years deep. All the artists I've worked with. I even would like to shout out the haters, and the people that has tried to stop me. They may not realize that one of my motivations is proving someone wrong. If you say i can't do it, then i will make sure it gets done.

Where can people follow you to stay up-to-date?

Merc The Phoenix: www.werpmoney.com

Thank you for your time. We wish you much success in your further career.

--

Support the culture.

.

Share this interview and spread the word!