Werk or clock out

Featured artist: The Real John Dough - Werk or clock out


As part of our ongoing "Rap's New Generation" series, today we sat down with the upcoming underground artist The Real John Dough from Montgomery to talk about his recent music, his upcoming projects, his career advice and his overall experiences being in the music industry and he did not disappoint...

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, The Real John Dough! Let's go back to the beginning of your career. How did you decide to become an artist?

The Real John Dough: I was always a poet. Music is poetry. We're expressing our feelings combining poetry with music. As a kid I would listen to songs on the radio and think of ways i could've did it better with my own cadence. I would listen to rap songs and sing the artist rap verses. When I was too young to work I would sing for food in the fast food restaurants. I think thats when I fell in love with performing in front of an audience. The thing that got me into songwriting is the fact I was too shy to talk to the girls at school so I would write melodic raps about what I would say to them if I had the courage. This started in elementary.

Hard Work (Werk) speaks for itself

- The Real John Dough


What about concerts? Do you play live?

Yes i do performances. Im working(werking) on putting a live band together to switch my performances up from time to time. I usually like to do things to stand out so the audience remembers me.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


Got more kick then Bruce and Jet Li just call me Sensei.
- The Real John Dough

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

I used to be a song writer for grammy award winning producer Khao. He used to shop hooks and songs with his beats. I've also done music videos for Lil baby, yfn Lucci, 2 Chainz, you name it. I'm currently releasing my own music. Strategically dropping a bunch of singles in the streets verses releasing an ep or mixtape. I think all my songs are potential singles so I want each song to get it's shine. A childhood friend of mine who has a company by the name of Quaty Musik and I just shot 2 videos during the Christmas break and both are bubbling in the streets. My first single is "Heart in the Way" (a song about watching people in your circle). Sometimes we know we should cut them off but our heart gets in the way sometimes.
Another single which is "Missin U"( rip Doe b, My brother Kendrae, and whole bunch of people my city loss). Heart in the way is currently streaming on all services such as Spotify and Apple music. By the time this comes out Missin U(Diana Ross remake) will be too.

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

If the paperwork is right and they can offer something I can't do myself. Pros are that they'll open certain doors that you can't. The cons are that you're locked in a contract and they get a bigger percentage than you. Artists usually get crumbs when we want the loaf.
Thats a punchline right there. Lol

Any last words?

Shoutout God first of all. Shout out to my brother Trik who been riding wit me since the beginning, shout out to Quaty Musik for teaming up with me for these visuals, rip my brother Kendrae, rip Doe b(he was putting the city on the map) free AJ and shoutout to the life lessons for giving me material for a song.

Where can people follow you to stay up-to-date?

The Real John Dough: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/therealjohndough/heart-in-the-ways

Thank you for your time. We wish you much success in your further career.

--

Support the culture.

.

Share this interview and spread the word!